Are My Post-Pregnancy Body Changes Permanent?
Pregnancy, childbirth, and breastfeeding can lead to lasting physical changes in the body’s appearance that may not be sufficiently corrected with dieting, exercise, and other lifestyle changes. After having a child or multiple children, women commonly develop the following changes in their physique:
- Drooping breasts/stretched breast skin
- Loss of breast volume
- Areas of stubborn excess fat
- Excess abdominal skin
- Stretched or torn abdominal muscles
- Torn, protruding, or stretched labia
For many women, restoring the figure they desire after having children involves the help of experienced plastic surgeons like Carrie Houssock, MD and James Vogel, MD at JEV Plastic Surgery & Medical Aesthetics. Dr. Houssock and Dr. Vogel can use a single procedure or combination of multiple procedures to achieve satisfying, potentially long-term improvements in the appearance of the breasts, body, and/or external female genitalia. When multiple procedures are recommended and included in a comprehensive surgical plan, it is often referred to as a mommy makeover. Procedures performed to enhance the physique during a mommy makeover may include:
- Breast lift surgery (with or without the placement of breast implants) can elevate and reshape breasts to create firmer, more youthful-looking breasts.
- Liposuction can remove excess fat and re-sculpt body contours for a leaner, more toned appearance.
- Tummy tuck can remove excess abdominal skin and fat, while also tightening/repairing abdominal muscles for a smoother, leaner, tighter-looking midsection.
- Labiaplasty can repair and/or contour the labia to improve physical comfort and enhance its appearance.
- Non-surgical body contouring options can reduce areas of localized fat (CoolSculplting®), rejuvenate the skin (Vivace™ RF microneedling), and achieve cellulite reduction (Endermologie®).
Once the body stabilizes after child birth—usually this occurs after a minimum of six months postpartum—Dr. Houssock or Dr. Vogel can meet with you during a personal consultation to discuss your concerns and goals, examine your body, review your medical history, discuss treatment options, and determine a customized treatment plan. Depending on the procedures included in your plan, your surgeon may recommend a phased approach or suggest a single operation during which multiple procedures can be completed. The majority of mommy makeover patients are thrilled with the beautiful, natural-looking results they are able to achieve with the help of our plastic surgeons.
If you are considering a mommy makeover to restore your pre-baby figure, please contact JEV Plastic Surgery & Medical Aesthetics to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced plastic surgeons.